new Distro

From: Patrick P <parspe@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed Aug 29 2007 - 16:21:39 AKDT

 I am working on a project to create a lightweight Linux workstation distro=
 for older hardware, mainly PII and PIII machines. The goal is a functional=
 desktop with easy installation and configuration. This is not a LiveCD lik=
e damn small linux but a complete installation distro which uses IceWM for =
the window manager. All of the applications from Debian stable are availabl=
e post install for those who need additional software. We could use a littl=
e help with testing and a few details if anyone has time or wants to.
 Deb-Ice is a customized Debian distribution uses apt for package managemen=
t and the 2.6 kernel. Deb-Ice simplifys the process of installing Debian on=
 an older machine. Currently we just have an installer which uses the Debia=
n repositories. Once we get to version 1.0 we will release an iso for offli=
ne installation. The IceWM window manager is installed along with a selecti=
on of applications for everyday use, most of which are selected for low mem=
ory usage, although familar applications such as a Mozilla browser suite ar=
e also included for those who would rather use them. We are working on gett=
ing together the needed graphical configuration utilities as well. It is a =
desktop workstation distribution to simple functionality and performance on=
 older hardware.
 Basically everything is together but we need to make sure nothing importan=
t is missing or see if anyone can think of some other applications that nee=
d to be added. Things we need help with include:
* testing sound, printing
* Getting together some information (documentation and HowTos) about gettin=
g these things working for the distribution.=20
* There are a few broken pieces of software lying around that we would like=
 to get included if anyone that can program in C++ or C would like to work =
on. These are basically just configuration utilities which are missing. deb=
ian packaging expertise would also be helpful here.
* We could use some prople who are good with graphics to create icons for t=
he menu items, which are not completed yet.
=20
 Website is still under construction but can be found at http://icelinux.ne=
t If you would like to help out Just send me an email if you want to help o=
ut and then download the iso
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3D203391