Re: AKLUG Monthly flyer

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Thu Aug 23 2007 - 06:21:13 AKDT

barsalou wrote, on 8/22/2007 9:38 PM:
> OK. Here is the updated version. Unless I overlooked something, and
> barring serious objections from everyone, I'd like to go with this.

I like the new look. Sorry to jump into this thread late. A couple
of suggestions, on top of what everyone else has already said ...

1. I find this sentence hard to read:

This is an informal, hands on, bring your own computer (or
use one of ours), ask questions, get help & give help affair.

Maybe something more like (a little long, but reads easier, IMO):

The Alaska Linux Users Group is for anyone with an interest in
GNU/Linux (Linux). At our informal Friday meetings, newbies and gurus
alike can ask questions, compare notes, and help each other with
installs and projects. For hands-on experience, bring your own
computer ... or use one of ours!

2. "A good place for folks new to Linux" probably shouldn't be in
quotes. Italics might be better. It reminds me of the sign that says:

        SPECIAL TODAY: "FRESH" FISH

Also, is that our official slogan/tagline? It needs more punch, I
think ... something Alaska-specific.

3. In a similar vein, I wouldn't mind seeing an Alaskan angle in the
penguin logo, too. Maybe someone with some leet Photoshoppin' skillz
could put some snow around him, or give him a miner's hat or something. :)

4. I agree with Fielder about the building name. That sentence also
shouldn't be separated by a semicolon, and the O in "Old" shouldn't be
capitalized.

"The meeting is held at Highland Tech, located in the east end of the
ASD Education Center (the old Boniface Mall)."

Royce

--
Royce D. Williams                                  IP Engineering, ACS
http://www.tycho.org/royce/                   - PGP: 3FC087DB/1776A531