Re: Using Debmirror

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net>
Date: Mon Jul 02 2007 - 00:25:34 AKDT

Richard Moore wrote:
> Hey everyone,
> Can anyone give me good instructions on how to use debmirror, i used the
> following
> debmirror -v -a 1386,amd64 -h ftp.debian.org \
> -d etch -e ftp /media/sda1/mirror \
> --nosource --progress --ignore-missing-release --skippackages \
> --cleanup --postcleanup
>
> This decided that the rsync files that i copied from fielder were not good
> and deleted everything in the directory, i still have a copy in a different
> directory, i would like to use debmirror, but i would also like to keep the
> full mirror that i acquired from fielder. Thanks..

Good evening Richard and everybody, here is my stanza:

# I start out with both the verbose and progress switches:
debmirror -v -p

# Then I specify the architectures to mirror.
-a i386,amd64

# Then I specify the distributions I want. (The default is "sid".)
-d etch,lenny,sid # I have completely dropped sarge.

# Then I specify how and where (I like the primary mirrors in Germany.)
-e ftp -h ftp.debian.de

# Here I throw in whatever...
--postcleanup # this is supposed to be default behavior but ...?
--ignore-release-gpg # I have had problems here. This should not be.
--ignore-small-errors # I would rather not include this, but ...

# Finally, I specify the location of the mirror subdirectory.
/media/sda1/debian # this is the only required parameter.
# The canonical form of the url is http://<host.mydomain.bgs/debian>
# so that is why I use "debian" as the subdirectory. Of course one may
use a soft link "/var/www/debian" that points to the real location such
as "/media/sda1/mirror".

Now to comment on Richard's stanza.

I assume the "1386" really is "i386" (evidence of fat finger syndrome).

"--ignore-missing-release" I want the release file. If it is missing, I
want the exercise to fail.

"--cleanup" Hmmm... This is also supposed to be default action which
does seem to be true. I don't think this is needed.

"--nosource" I want the source so I never use this.

"--skippackages" I don't use this. My experience with debmirror is it
does not download up-to-date packages.

So, Richard, here is the stanza that you want (apparently):

debmirror -v -p -a i386,amd64 -d etch,lenny,sid -e ftp \
-h ftp.debian.org --nosource --postcleanup /media/sda1/debian

YMMV of course.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards       Debian/GNU Linux
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        "etch" Testing