Re: Friday night Linux

From: Stanley Long <slong@acsalaska.net>
Date: Tue May 29 2007 - 14:50:41 AKDT

barsalou wrote:
> For those of you who go to the Friday Night Linux, you'll be happy to
> know that we still have access to Highland Tech.
>
> There are two changes:
>
> - We will only have access to the commons area.

Yippee!
We are too many for the computer lab, and the crowding makes it
difficult for wheelchairs, even though the accessible entrances are
wonderful.

This my allow us to engage more effectively with the robotics students.
> - We will only have internet if someone brings it.
>
> The alternatives are ... [ selective clipping ] financial commitment from
> the group.
>
> I thought someone said they had brought their clearwire connection, but
> my understanding is that reception is low or non-existent.

This has been a showcase that Clearwire should capitalize on.

The building structure provides effective RF shielding. Extensive
experimentation has occurred. Old time techies prevailed.

Yes, clearwire works. Convenience is perhaps improved because it doesn't
shut down in the late evening as (sometimes) the in-house system does.

The group's wireless and wired switches have been tested periodically:=)

Thanks, Mike, for coordinating for us.