Re: bash is Bashed!

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.org>
Date: Tue May 15 2007 - 14:39:20 AKDT

Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 May 2007 01:05, Fielder George Dowding wrote:
>> I have run into a strange situation (my workstation at the Mabel T.
>> Caverly Senior Center) where bash does not act like, well, bash. Here
>> are the symptoms:
>>
>> Type "set" to see all the environmental variables.
>> 1. Regular user: a bash script scrolls ???
>> 2. Root: the environmental variables are printed to screen.
>> 3. Regular user after typing "sh" to get the old Borne Shell, normal
>> results a number 2, above.
>>
>> I suspect there is a mis-configured something somewhere. Can anyone help?
>
> I would assume what you are seeing are all the functions defined for
> bash-completions. Like being able to type svn<TAB> and have a list of
> subversion actions pop up; apt-get install kde<TAB> and have a list of all
> packages starting with KDE, etc. There are other things like that defined
> too.

Thanks Joshua, I didn't take much more than a quick glance after the
scrolling stopped. I suspect it is the bash script that is run when the
bash command 'set' is called (with or without options, arguments, or
parameters (OAP)(c) 2007, Iceworm Enterprises =:-)}}}. Instead of
listing the file it should simply execute accepting command line OAP's
if any. So, the problem, as I see it is what is mis-configured?

I have taken a look (cursory) at the user's .bash_profile and .bashrc
files, but nothing was obviously amiss. When I have a chance (I am a
little under the weather at the moment) I will compare the user files to
those in /root, /etc/skel, and /etc/profile, /etc/bash_profile,
/etc/bashrc (if any - I don't remember if they exist in Debian etch).

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards       Debian/GNU Linux
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        "etch" Testing