Re: bash is Bashed!

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Tue May 15 2007 - 10:18:43 AKDT

On Tuesday 15 May 2007 01:05, Fielder George Dowding wrote:
> I have run into a strange situation (my workstation at the Mabel T.
> Caverly Senior Center) where bash does not act like, well, bash. Here
> are the symptoms:
>
> Type "set" to see all the environmental variables.
> 1. Regular user: a bash script scrolls ???
> 2. Root: the environmental variables are printed to screen.
> 3. Regular user after typing "sh" to get the old Borne Shell, normal
> results a number 2, above.
>
> I suspect there is a mis-configured something somewhere. Can anyone help?

I would assume what you are seeing are all the functions defined for
bash-completions. Like being able to type svn<TAB> and have a list of
subversion actions pop up; apt-get install kde<TAB> and have a list of all
packages starting with KDE, etc. There are other things like that defined
too.

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE
PO Box 80086 -- Fairbanks, AK 99708 -- Ph: 907-456-5581 Fax: 907-456-3111