Fwd: Config issue: screen res

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon Apr 23 2007 - 12:34:10 AKDT

Anyone with Ubuntu experience have a quick answer for this? Please
respond to the list and Karen.

Thanks.

Mike B.

----- Forwarded message from kciocchi@yahoo.com -----
    Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 12:02:57 -0700 (PDT)
    From: Karen Ciocchi <kciocchi@yahoo.com>
Subject: Config issue: screen res
      To: Mike B <barjunk@attglobal.net>

Hi Mike, thanks up front for the assist.

Regarding screen resolutions: the max res Ubuntu offers me (via its
menu at System | Preferences | Screen Resolution) is 1024x768. This is
okay when using my laptop's internal monitor but is not acceptable when
using my external 21" monitor. Ubuntu also offers only one Refresh Rate
of 75Hz. Apparently the OS is not detecting my monitor as anything
special.

Laptop:
Toshiba libretto U105 (Pentium M753), 1280x768 native WXGA res, Intel
Extreme Graphics 2 (16MB-64MB graphics memory)

External Monitor:
Gateway FPD2185W, 1680x1040 native (75Hz), 16:10 aspect ratio. Supports
90-degree rotation between landscape & portrait; frequency ranges are
31-81KHz horizontal, 56-76Hz vertical. If you need more details, I can
supply monitor's 22 supported combos for res/hort/vert.

OS: Ubuntu 6.10

Given the above, what can I do to increase the list of choices for
screen res and/or Refresh Rate? This is obviously a driver issue, but I
have not been able to locate one-- which doesn't mean much, as I'm
still stumbling around the Linux world. :(

Help!

Karen Ciocchi

http://mail.yahoo.com ----- End forwarded message -----