Re: ftp.aklug.org

From: Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Fri Apr 20 2007 - 09:19:42 AKDT

I wish I had time to ramble on about why I can't regularly show up to
the meetings. A lot of us have our own reasons for it. However our
support doesn't waver.

Mike, from what I gather you are primarily responsible for the machine
responding to ftp.aklug.org, is this the same for the uplink it is
using? I'm not 100% sure on my assumption, I wasn't really looking
for something 'fun' to investigate when I asked for what I thought
would be clear answers.

So..

My apologies if I am about to be horribly redundant or incredibly
stubborn about a single simple issue. This has crossed the list
before because of this silly obsession I have.

I... love... caching.

I have used CoralCDN for content distribution and caching and hoped to
make a test node or seperate network in Alaska some day (coming soon I
hope). I use caching apt repository proxies like approx in tandem
with apache or squid to offer what appears to be a full working
repository by directly proxying or redirecting all non package based
content requests to the original servers, while caching all packages.

More important than just caching is high speed networks distributing
cached content. I use Flickr, tinypic and the like along side some
custom programs to offload my content to their distributed caching
network and away from my 10G quota MTA dsl connection. Using certain
FTP "push" techniques you can even offload large content dynamically
to your ISP's free web hosting account on the fly using redirects and
smart programming techniques. This method pushes updated content to
your ISP web account for them to serve out multiple times on their
high speed network instead of your slow ass hell upload speed and
using up your monthly transfer limit. Hell even I love having a rice
cooker that has rice "cached" and ready for me when I get home.

HTML and HTTP spec encourages caching and content distribution, yet
the world forgot to segregate cachable HTML content from dynamic
content for a single web page until recently, thank you Web 2.0.

Bittorent and Zsync take chunks of data, hash them, and allow chunk
level synchronization of compressed and raw data via HTTP and
distributed content delivery. Preemptive caching! Thats not really
the term used however in essence thats what is happening.

Everybody in AKLUG knows our public IP network is highly segregated
from the rest of the world. It is important that if we have space,
somewhere, to offer caching to our members and linked to non-members
as needed, many LUG groups gain a wider name exposure by becoming
mirrors for popular data. The release of "The Fawn" for instance
being a primary example of this. Now I bet peeps and folks like
Arthur and Mike at AT&T can do the math and tell AKLUG beyond a shadow
of a doubt that if we started using our connection to the lower 48
less, that things may get more expensive for either AT&T or any of the
ISP's that depend on AT&T for their IP service. I assume this based
on the supply and demand model. The more of us that try to squeeze
out of Alaska and get the same damned thing just increases the demand.
 I love hypothetical situations on the list so please put me in my
place for the benefit of all of us. We could finally have a good well
thought out idea of the interactions and ISP governing we deal with in
Alaska.

Thank you Damien for taking the Feisty ISO's offline to CD for people
to use, its very thoughtful if not the ultimate sneakernet caching
system.

Shane