Re: Ubuntu servers are overloaded

From: Frashii Allegropaw <frashii@frashii.com>
Date: Fri Apr 20 2007 - 05:31:25 AKDT

I've found a pretty neat solution to this problem... it still involves
downloading things, but allows for the re-use of packages...

The package apt-cacher is really slick in handling this kind of thing.
Basically how it works is this..

You pick a server on your network (or teh intarweb someplace with the
proper restrictions), install the apt-cacher and then add the following
to your /etc/apt/apt.conf file on all your machines:
    Acquire::http::Proxy
"http://server.where.apt-cacher.installed.com:3142/";

This acts as a pass through proxy, and if you have already downloaded
it, it serves it up from your local cache. (
/var/cache/apt-cacher/packages )

If you already have packages downloaded ( /var/cache/apt/archives) you
can just copy them into that directory.

It really saves a lot of bandwidth :)

Marc