Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Can I do VOIP from the Cell Phone?

From: Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Thu Mar 22 2007 - 07:55:58 AKDT

I do a lot of voip. There are tons of providers out there that can
give you low long distance rates. However the practicality you want
may be isolated just to your workplace. So first off think of these
few solutions.

1.) Replace work phone with wired phone that has a companion wireless
handset. Or add a wireless phone on the line. ($70ish?, company could
pay for it, use their long distance)

2.) Bill your employer

3.) Buy a long distance plan that doesn't suck? Have you done a cost
comparison on a nationwide unlimited plan vs a standard take it up the
ass plan?

As for voip

I have patched multiple lines over a GPRS and CDMA connection. However
some jitteryness needs to be taken into effect, you have a few
choices.

1.) Use asterisk in IAX2 trunk mode with jitter buffer turned on and
do massive amounts of tuning.

2.) Use Skype, they did a lot of research to make Things Just Work (TM).

I have used an IAX2 trunk over both a 1xRTT pcmcia card as well as
bluetooth to my cell phone connecting to GPRS. I used speex as the
codec.

Any more questiosn I am happy to help out Damien.