Re: Learning Linux from scratch

From: David J. Weller-Fahy <dave-lists-aklug@weller-fahy.com>
Date: Mon Mar 19 2007 - 11:08:11 AKDT

Sorry, last post went through a non-subscribed address. If you see
double, it's my fault. ;]

* barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net> [2007-03-14 06:55 +0100]:
> Additionally, since putting the Nevaeh vmplayer appliance on
> ftp.aklug.org, it seems a few of you have downloaded it and only one
> has said they started it and played with it a little.

Although no longer *near* AK... I've downloaded it. I'm also converting
(as we speak) the vmware image to a qemu qcow format disk image. I'll
shoot you a link once I've tested that so you can put it up (if you'd
like).

> I'd like to start a series, via e-mail to work with this distribution.
> From my perspective, it's claim to fame is that it is small, versatile
> and aimed at folks wanting to learn linux but also want a production
> level (at least for the server) OS.

In my (copious ;) spare-time between family, work, school, travel, and
coding I will be quite willing to at least review/edit other people's
writings.

> Some of Nevaeh's main features are that everything is kept as close to
> the minimum as possible but never cutting you off from expanding
> things.

Which is why I'm interested... annvix has also interested me, but I
haven't had great luck with it.

> If this sounds interesting to you folks, let me know, and I'll put an
> outline together and we can get started.

It does.

> One question you might ask is, what in the world would you want to use
> such a bare bones distro, when you have Fedora, Suse, Ubuntu?

Ummm... for running any server? ;]

> Maybe this doesn't interest everyone....I'm fairly certain about that,
> but hopefully it will provide an avenue of appreciation for all the
> work that distros like Fedora, Suse and Ubuntu do for us.

Well... I *know* I'm a control freak, and I'm always looking for the
distro that has 'one less thing'.

Anywho, enough for this eve.

Y'all have a good evening, and, mike, I'll shoot you a link tomorrow for
that qemu image.

Regards,

--
dave [ please don't CC me ]