Re: Those IT guys are loony

From: Lee Ross <leeross@gci.net>
Date: Fri Mar 16 2007 - 19:15:49 AKDT

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 16:37:15 -0900, Jon Reynolds <jonr@destar.net> wrote:

> Lee Ross wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:07:27 -0900, Damien Hull
>> <dhull@digitaloverload.net> wrote:
>>

>> yet to see anything develop for the new end user people. I like Arthur's
>> suggestion of two lists, one for hackers and one for end users.
>>
>> I really miss Tux Magazine. They had to close their doors after only 17
>> or
>> 18 issues. They published stuff the new guy could understand! Hint Hint.
>>

> Got any suggestions Lee? What did Tux do in the way of helping out a new
> users?
>
> Jon
> ---------

I believe you can still subscribe to the old issues. Take a look at this
link
http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000189

Without a doubt I can say Tux would explain things so everyone could
understand what was being said about any given subject. They always
explained what every acronym meant and would show you how to do
configurations and operations in the GUI as well as the command line. I've
saved all magazines to my desktop and refer to them whenever need be.....

Tux wasn't about one distribution, it was about Linux and they would help
you through the oddities of the different distros but mostly they talked
down to my level of understanding. ie If the subject was about file
systems they would show you how to use command line and GUI drag and drop
techniques alike.

I'm not an administrator by a long shot, I'm just a user that likes to do
browsing, email, photography, cad and building computers. I'm pretty much
a novice at all of this but continue to learn all these things as time
allows. I don't want to be an administrator or hacker as I wouldn't have
time to do anything else and my entire life would be consumed by learning
what makes these OS's tick. My first Linux attempt was Mandrake 6.5. I
then went to Red Hat several years later.......found out about Suse and
have used that for the last four years. I've also tried Kubunto, Knoppix
and Debian. Suse has been by far the most user friendly to me and I've
become very comfortable with it. I've managed to luck out and create a
network behind a router with four machines all talking to each other. I've
even managed somehow to get fish working and have transferred files from
one computer to the other.

Having said all of that, Suse is not a very popular distro in Anchorage so
I spend the majority of my time following the opensuse mailing list. I
pick up something off there once in a while when someone slips and gives a
detailed explanation of how to remedy a problem. Most of the time you find
a question and the answer is a line of unintelligable jibberish to use on
command line leaving all details aside. It usually takes me a long time to
fix something I've messed up but I get the job done somehow.

Never have figured out how to view movies or burn cd's from my JVC Everio.
It has a 30 gig harddrive. I can't even get it to work on Windows xp.

Apologies for rambling on so,

--
Lee Ross
Anchorage, AK