Re: Bying a linux laptop

From: Robert Crowe <crowe.robert@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Mar 07 2007 - 11:35:35 AKST

Yessir-I scored a Itronix Gobook for $175 (two of them anyhoo) It has a 850
mhz processor, 20gb hard drive, 256 m of ram, a nitevue keyboard, touch
screen, the ability to cruise safely on one of those 3g mil networks (just
as useful to me as the gps transciever connection) but it is fully
ruggedized and all I need for something like that is cruising the internet,
working on documents, and such. Both of them have Windows XP pro but I'm
going to wean into Ubuntu with a dual boot setup initially. I guess the
touchscreen isn't quite as friendly to get up and running in
Ubuntu-everything else should be a no-brainer. Perfect for us newbs.
I found this deal on ebay. Enter 'gobook' under search, than I scanned to
the buy it now dealer and made an offer. He was asking $199 but I offered
$100 each for two. His counter was $175...SOLD! I'm looking forward to
working on them. They're weather proof and can be dropped 4 feet onto
concrete without a scratch (I don't think I'm going to test that spec) Hope
this helps. Bob