Re: Bying a linux laptop

From: Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Tue Mar 06 2007 - 18:30:40 AKST

You may want to take your $400 and head off to Vegas, triple or nothing.

Actually if you can find a used Dell laptop they work very well, there
are some older latitudes that are very very thin, almost sub
notebooks, that would work well for a laptop. ALso advertise on the
Anchorage craigslist.

Also sony has typically used a very decent Pheonix Bios is most of
their VGN series laptops, they offer good power management by allowing
suspend to disk and memory to work quite flawlessly.

REMEMBER! Always google for "Fujitsu P2120 Laptop and Linux" or
similar for anything you want to buy, it will be a dead givaway on not
only the caliber of the laptop in general, but if Linux is worthwhile
on it.

There was a thread not to long ago for the durable mil spec rated
laptops for relatively cheap. They don't have all the thrills of a
gaming computer, but you could chuck it at a Professor and have it
only suffer mild damage. I had a Panasonic Toughbook CF-52 (I
believe), a similar laptop, and I could have hammered nails with it.

Shane