Re: Debian/Ubuntu modules

From: Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Wed Feb 21 2007 - 07:52:24 AKST

If for some reason 'udev' and init scripts like 'discover' arent
finding your ethernet devices, place the module in /etc/modules, check
out 'man modules' from your shell. Debian and Ubuntu modprobe
functionality comes from the package module-init-tools, a quick 'dpkg
-L module-init-tools | less' should show you all the files it has
installed and what docs/man pages it has available.

If thats not the case and you actually want to rename ethernet device
names from eth3 to eth1 or similar, udev can handle this as well.
There is also a program called ifrename available to debian which is
configured via /etc/iftab where you can map ethernet names like eth1,
tulip1, wan1, sallyann1 to any device matching a module, mac, or
physical address. However udev should have outdated that. I can't
find an example at the moment of udev handling this.

Good luck!