Fielder and ClearWire save the day

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Mon Feb 05 2007 - 09:51:05 AKST

At the past Friday night meeting we had no Internet. It was strange not
having Internet access. I think someone made a comment about no Internet
gives us time to talk to each other.

Fortunately Fielder agreed to bring his Clear Wire. Once he showed up we
did our little dance with the tech toys. Bad reception in the building
forced us to put the Clear Wire device outside. Then there were issues
with the Linksys router. You can't keep a room full of geeks off the net
for long though. Once on line we were back to blank stares at the screen
and surfing.

I have to say Clear Wire is fast. There were 4 or 5 of us surfing and I
didn't notice any slow connections. Not only is it fast but you can take
it with you. Nice!

You may already know this but our Internet was down because someone
driving a truck down Tudor snagged some wires. It knocked out Internet,
phone and TV for a bunch of people.

This was just another exciting Friday night AKLUG meeting. Don't miss
the next one.