Re: Backups work!

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Tue Jan 30 2007 - 22:27:59 AKST

On Tuesday 30 January 2007 21:56, Adam bultman wrote:
> At work, most people probably have backup solutions already.
>
> Good 'home use' backup programs (which also work for businesses):
> 1. Arkeia (older versions have a server limit, and not a gig limit. I
> think only registered versions support libraries)
> 2. Rsnapshot (Uses rsync and hard links to create a netapp-style
> snapshot of filesystems)
> 3. TAR (not as useful, since there's not error recovery)
> 4. BRU (I cannot remember if there's still a free version)
>
> Other:
> 1. Veritas is really, really cool, although it is expensive. Bonus:
> You can use remote tape drives as if they were local, and back up to a
> remote drive!
>
> Damien Hull wrote:
> > I write this because I know most people don't backup their data.
> > Here's proof that they not only work but can save you time and
> > effort.
> >
> > I was recently asked for a resume. I new I had one somewhere. After
> > searching the server, workstation and laptop I found nothing. I got
> > all the backups from the safe deposit box. I started with the oldest
> > and worked my way up. The second DVD had what I was looking for.
> >
> > The backup was from September 2 2005.

My box has multiple hd's. I use rsync to backup my home dir, done as a
cron job seveal times a week, to backup to a separate hd. Not
a 'traditional' backup scenario, but one that keeps a soho office
data 'safe enough'. Every once in awhile I rsync my home dir to another
machine. that is a clone of my current box.

Be careful of the rsync --delete option, I have lost data this way :-) my
fault of course.

I think the bottom line is knowing what a 'backup plan' entails , and
being able to duplicate that with the many tools that GNU/Linux provides.

--
Greg Madden