Re: who can upload

From: Dan Wolf <dan-wolf@gci.net>
Date: Sat Jan 27 2007 - 10:04:51 AKST

Well I have my flame retardent long johns on so if this offends I apologize in advance. Recently there has been talk of looking into membership dues. Additionally I see where George has received the bill for the LUGs P.O. Box. Now there are plans to setup an FTP server. The thought has crossed my mind that the FTP server could be set up to allow anyone to read from a public area. But it might be worth considering setting up private areas accessible only to authorized (possibly dues paying) members. This setup would allow folks to have a private area for such things as development projects that aren't ready for public exposure, group projects, AKLUG proprietary data/docs/templates etc..

In other words an FTP server represents a service and no matter how we look at it, services need to be funded somehow. Just like the P.O.Box, or the electricity, hardware, & bandwidth. So as the LUG grows and provides services to its members it is not unreasonable to consider a dues based membership system.

~Dan