Thoughts on direction

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed Jan 17 2007 - 21:25:11 AKST

A good friend of mine called me tonight to tell me about what he thinks
we should consider as we move forward as a group.

Although we don't agree on everything, I thought I would share some of
the things we talked about:

- Training for new enthusiasts

Evidently there are some new folks that would like to learn a little
about the command line. Sometimes I forget I've been doing this
awhile. :)

- Training for new users

This seems the same as above, but it is subtly different. These would
be people who would willingly use Linux, but don't want to know
ANYTHING, about the command line and how it works under the hood. They
just want to browse, use e-mail and create a document or two.

- That we shouldn't talk about Windows.

He didn't say that specifically, but there have been others who have
said it just that way. This is one point I diverge from most folks.
Our mission includes Open Source. Using Open Source on Windows is a
critical step in moving to a Linux Desktop. If they can use OpenOffice
and other apps that work on the big three, then the transition to Linux
is a no brainier.

So you will see more stuff running on a Windows box, but it won't be
the center point. More likely you'll see me using VMPlayer or Xen or
Win4Lin.

- Training materials

We talked a little about producing some very short videos on how to use
different applications and such. I like this idea, and it fits with
the question that was asked not to long ago about how to produce video
with Linux.

James Z, did you ever get a chance to give it a go?

What are other people thinking with regard to this?

Mike B.