Linux and the State Government

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun Jan 14 2007 - 20:37:02 AKST

It's good to see so much support for the idea of talking with the State
about using Linux in their operations.

It would be helpful to identify within the State, especially in the
Dept of Administration, people that have an interest in using FOSS at
the government level.

We have plenty of reference material about State governments using
FOSS, but getting in touch with the actual individuals within our State
government will be a first good step.

If you know folks in the State government and are willing to talk to
them about FOSS, it would be good to identify who they are. It would
also be wise to be sure they are willing to be recognized as such.

I think there are many folks within the government that would love to
see FOSS in use, but there are suredly as many who would rather there
be no change at all.

Slow and easy is they way we should move forward.

Find out who your Representatives are and try and get a gauge on how
they feel about FOSS. This will help us put together a good strategy
in approaching them with a logical and beneficial plan.

Keep thinking about ways we might accomplish this task. This should
prove to be an exciting time to be an AKLUG member.

Mike B.