Re: Criminals who don't get penalized

From: captgoodnight captgoodnight <captgoodnight@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat Jan 13 2007 - 20:14:14 AKST

:P)

http://www.honeynet.org
http://www.honeynet.org/papers/kye.html#1

The authorities cannot do things like hack into a US citizen's system to
find kiddie porn and then use that as evidence for a warrant, BUT, a citizen
in any part of the world can hack into the kiddie porn system, and turn that
info into the authorities in the US, that evidence CAN be used in court to
get a warrant, BUT, the citizen and the authorities need to prove there was
no communication/agreement before the hack to do so, if so, this is against
the 4th amendment of the US citizen and the evidence is thrown out. This
has been exemplified already in court. Also, if a person is to compromise
another person's computer, and at the time of the compromise, if the victim
was to use a counter hack to stop the hack, even though normally illegal,
there's a chance under nuisance laws for that person to be seen lawful. I
believe this too has been played out in court. This isn't saying I want to
test these things though...And I'm very far from ever wanting to be a
lawyer.

Google and honeynet project has some great papers on these subjects..There's
nothing wrong with baiting the cyber criminals; there's much to learn from
it.

--eddie