RE: Bandwidth Throttling

From: Kevin Miller <Kevin_Miller@ci.juneau.ak.us>
Date: Tue Jan 09 2007 - 07:43:46 AKST

Royce Williams wrote:
> Kevin Miller wrote, on 1/5/2007 12:20 PM:
>> I'm with you. They also seem to throttle news groups. I can go to a
>> web page and pull it up pretty quickly, but sometimes have to wait
>> for 10 or 15 seconds or more for a 10 line text usenet post to come
>> in. Sometimes (very rarely) it'll be almost instantaneous but most
>> of the time it's a pig.
>=20
> There's no per-user or per-connection newsgroup throttling that I'm
> aware of, but I don't manage our news server, so I can't speak
> definitively to that.

I asked tech support about it once, but didn't get anywhere. They told
me to change the MTU to 1460. I tried to set that on my WAP but
couldn't find a clear way to do so, but in poking around it looked like
it negociated to 1492 or something like that. But I don't think it's
the packet size. If I go to the Novell/SuSE newsgroups (different
server) I get instantaneous results.

Someone else mentioned that ACS is running their own server and caching
from upstream. I presume they're doing a sort of reverse proxy - that
would explain the symptoms. Sometimes a message will come in really
fast, other times (most times) it's slow. I suspect that when they do
come in fast that it is a cached result, and the rest have to wait for
the upstream server. I do get a message now and again that says "Error:
timeout waiting for upstream server".

The groups I watch are woodworking related - probably not a whole lot of
demand on them. I'm sure if I was looking at pron like any normal
red-blooded pervert I'd get much better service. ;-)

...Kevin
--=20
Kevin Miller Registered Linux User No: 307357
CBJ MIS Dept. Network Systems Admin., Mail Admin.
155 South Seward Street ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801 fax: (907 586-4500