Re: Bandwidth Throttling

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Sat Jan 06 2007 - 10:56:15 AKST

Kurt Mathews wrote, on 1/5/2007 1:21 PM:
> Also, GCI has their own news groups server. They throttle the connection
> speed to 1Mbps, but only from their server. If you have a professional
> Usenet server your subscribed to, they don't care.

ACS also has their own news server. We get our feeds from one of our
upstreams, but we cache as much as we can (given our storage and I/O
resources). We're also indifferent to what you pull from other news
servers directly, as far as I know.

If you're hitting news.acsalaska.net and you're the only one reading
alt.binaries.licenseplates.alaska, you'll have less data cached than
some of the more popular groups.

Royce