Dues-expenses

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Mon Jan 01 2007 - 20:37:00 AKST

At one time I wanted to go for the IRS 501(c)3 status, tried but were
rejected :-( I still do. My thinking was if we had the status we could
solicite funds more easily, let others pay our bills :-)

We , the officers at the time, opened a bank account which, afaik,
doesn't cost anything, Jim Gribbin (treasurer) has that detail. Filed for
not for profit corporate status with the state, this is a recurring cost,
1 or 2 year intervals @ $100 a year. I have been paying that as my
contribution to Aklug. We have a PO box, which Fielder (secretary) may
know the cost of. These are the fixed costs we have. Extras, i.e. like
the IT Expo can run $600, etc.

The fixed costs could be $200/yr. A dollar a member. In that light dues
don't seem so bad, unless there are higher moral issues involved.

We can always go back to what we get for free, the list serve, aklug.org
hosting and a free Friday night space.

Mike B. has some ideas, I am willing to think about new ideas and
direction.

--
Greg Madden