AKLUG server

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon Jan 01 2007 - 01:54:35 AKST

First of all....HAPPY NEW YEAR!

It's interesting how an innocent question about the status of the
server has turned into a many message thread. Good job Dee for getting
things started.

Damien, I appreciate your concern for the AKLUG server. Are you
interested in being in charge of the server committee?

To address the choice I made:

As far as the AKLUG server is concerned, the one that is in production
as of now is the AKLUG server. We were attempting to make use of
Grahams gracious time and effort to assemble a different server that
mirrored some of the functionality that he created for us.

I'd like to make an additional point clear. It's not that I can't get
it to work, it is I have not had enough time yet. Yes, there are some
things about Nevaeh that I don't know. Yes it is frustrating sometimes.

But as Jon, and to some degree Arthur, pointed out, one of the reasons
for doing things this way is to learn Linux a little better.

There is no hurry to have the "old" server running tomorrow. If there
was, I would probably take the easy way out and use a distro like
Fedora or Ubuntu.

Since at the time I was the only one willing to manage the server, it
didn't seem an imposition to put something like Nevaeh on that box.
Now that there is interest, I'll reconsider.

Anyone interested in becoming the server administrator, please send me
your resume and the reasons why you would like to take on that
responsibility.

It's nice to once again have discussion surrounding AKLUG business. One
thing I would like to ask though is that this sort of conversation move
to the aklug-ops list. This allows the AKLUG business not to interrupt
others getting help with "real" Linux issues.

Thanks again for all the interest and support (there was support, right? :))

Mike B.