Re: Booting from a PCI SATA card

From: <bryanm@acsalaska.net>
Date: Wed Dec 20 2006 - 20:52:31 AKST

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 05:40:13PM -0900, Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net> wrote:

> I should mention that one of my systems has SATA built in. It boots
> Linux without any problems. The BIOS on this system can see all the
> sata drives. Maybe you can't boot from a PCI SATA card.

If the problem were that the BIOS couldn't read the drive on that
card, then I don't think GRUB would even come up. If the problem
were that the kernel couldn't read it, then I would expect that the
kernel would at least start to boot, and then freeze when it tried
to mount the root filesystem.

Your symptom suggests to me that the problem is with GRUB reading
the drive. Is it the same version of GRUB as your other (working)
system? Try checking your GRUB settings to make sure everything
needed is enabled.

Disclaimer: I've never used GRUB or SATA. :)

--
Bryan Medsker
bryanm@acsalaska.net