Re: Booting from a PCI SATA card

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Wed Dec 20 2006 - 17:40:13 AKST

jonr@destar.net wrote:
> Quoting Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>:
>

>> I'm trying to boot from a PCI SATA card and it's not working. Here's
>> what happens.
>>
>> 1. Grub comes up
>> 2. It runs through a few lines until it gets to "boot"
>> 3. The system reboots
>>
>> I did a quick Google search and found a website that says you can't boot
>> from a PCI SATA card. It has something to do with the BIOS not seeing
>> the card/drives. The BIOS is unable to pass the information to linux/grub.
>>

> You might need to make an initrd so the drivers for the card are available.
>
> Jon

You may be on to something here. The next question is how do you access
the initrd on the PCI SATA card to get the driver?

I should mention that one of my systems has SATA built in. It boots
Linux without any problems. The BIOS on this system can see all the
sata drives. Maybe you can't boot from a PCI SATA card.

I'm going to try placing grub and /boot on an IDE drive and everything
else on the SATA drive. I hope it works.