Re: moving the mail server

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Thu Dec 07 2006 - 16:27:06 AKST

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 22:24, barsalou wrote:
> I agree with those that are wanting to keep the mail server where it
> is. Despite the fact that Dee has offered himself to help in this
> area, having server diversity has served us well when our connection
> has gotten lost, our hardware has crapped out and many other problems
> that we have had in the past.

If we can have better service from the list I don't mind using UAA, they
serve other lists in the comunity, NUGA, and it has worked well in the
past. i never have problems :-)

> I agree that we should have control too, and having lost Mike T from
> UAA has put a bit of a crimp in our style.
>
> Mike, if your still on the list, could you please put me in contact
> with someone who is most probably managing our mail list?
>
> Additionally, some of you may already know this, but there have been
> quite a few of our members recently quiting the list. They didn't quit
> because the mail list server was having problems.
>
> Part of this is driven by our lack of organization and of willingness
> on the part of the rest of the members to participate.
>
> This leaves the work to a few overworked good hearted folks to manage
> the services that we provide to the membership.
>
> Currently we are between Presidents. I've been patiently waiting for
> some brave sole to step up. Not a single person has committed to this
> role.
>
> Because of the gap, I'm going to step into it. My goal will be to grow
> the membership, provide training opportunities, and look to stabilize
> the services that we offer.

Congratulations !

> In the past two years we have had plenty of opportunity to participate
> in the ITExpo. We have had a less than steller showing. This doesn't
> take away from the folks who have shown their dedication by setting up
> these events and participating, speaking, etc.
>
> There has been a general malaise in the group and its time for us to
> change. We either need to start moving forward, or let this
> organization fade away for lack of participation.

The list has been the mai focus for most folks in Aklug. I believe the
list problems are at least partly to blame for the 'apparent 'malaise.

Friday night seems to be going strong, one new user at a time.

> We've seen better days. We could see more.
>

> Mike B.

Greg Madden