re: System Cooling

From: Thomison, Lee <ThomisonL@ci.anchorage.ak.us>
Date: Thu Dec 07 2006 - 10:14:06 AKST

1. As someone said, 'cooler is gooder'. (words to live by donchaknow).
2. I use smartctl from the smartmontools to monitor drive temperatures
through nagios. Unfortunately, at this point in time, the SMART stuff
for SATA hasn't been implemented yet for most SATA drives, although the
devs are working on it and saying Real Soon Now.

3. I decided to get one of the Supermicro mobile racks (SCE-M35S I
think?) with a big fan out the back. Had to replace the jet engine fan
with a quieter one, but other than that, the drives seem to stay in the
low thirties, even when I'm thrashing them with VMWare team sims.