RE: UAA List Serve

From: Mike Tibor <tibor@tibor.org>
Date: Thu Dec 07 2006 - 09:31:08 AKST

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, James Zuelow wrote:

> Mike Tibor wrote:
>> I'm a little late coming into this discussion, but I have yet
>> to see a
>> member automatically unsubscribed for any reason other than
>> mail server or
>> connectivity problems on the recipient's end. In the case of
>> mail server
>> problems on the recipient's end, most often the member isn't
>> even aware of
>> a problem, as was the case with Jim's problem that he mentions below.
>> Those problems will always be present regardless of where the
>> list lives.
>> =20
>
> The JLUG list is also an ecartis list, also hosted elsewhere.
>
> In theory, if I were having receipt problems, I would get unsubscribed
> from the JLUG list. However the net being what it is, you never know.
>
> Also, bugtraq, etc. have the same policy (although Bugtraq is nice
> enough to send a warning note before it unsubs you) and I didn't have
> any problems with those lists when I lost AKLUG.
>

> I get bumped from AKLUG quite often - is the number of bounces set low,
> like one or two? Usually I notice that I'm missing messages and just
> re-subscribe.

The list is configured so that it will set the vacation flag on you if
there are more than 15 transient bounces (ie, if the list server gets a
4xx reply trying to deliver to you), and will unsub you at more than 7
fatal bounces (5xx error code). It's possible that the other lists you
mention have higher thresholds. I had arbitrarily picked those thresholds
because they seemed sane to me. We have the option of sending a warning
message when it auto unsubs, but it seemed silly to me to send out another
message if at least 7 had already bounced as undeliverable, because the
warning would simply bounce as well.

> After being dropped on or just after September 16 I cannot re-subscribe
> from home (e5z8652@zuelow.net), nor can I subscribe with other e-mail
> addresses, both on and off my domain.
>
> I get the 'reply to this to confirm your subscription', I reply, and
> then nothing.
>
>> From the thread here, it looks like at least two of us got bumped on the
> 16th, and those e-mail addresses are now unable to re-subscribe.
>
> And I am unable to subscribe with ANY e-mail address now. (Luckily,
> this work e-mail didn't get bumped - or I'd just be chalking it up to
> getting blacklisted for something I said.)

We do appear to have some kind of problem, as I have just confirmed the
behavior you and Stan Long have described. I was able to subscribe both
of your addresses via the web interface,
http://www.lib.uaa.alaska.edu/cgi-bin/lists.cgi

I'm going to contact Brad and/or Mike and see if they can see anything in
the Ecartis log.

Mike