nvidia problems

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Sun Oct 29 2006 - 20:47:43 AKST

Here's what I've got.

   1. EPoX 9GF6100-M motherboard
   2. MSI NX7600GT nvidia video card ( pcie )
   3. 2 gig RAM
   4. Ubuntu Dapper

While the above list sounds like a nice setup it doesn't work. The on
board video is a 6100 nvidia. It works fine. As soon as I put in the
NX7600GT things start locking up.

The xorg.conf file and the "nvidia" driver have a lot more options then
I thought. I've gone through loading and not loading this, that and the
other. Followed instructions from different websites with out any luck.
What gets me is that some people are saying the NX7600GT works fine.

I posted on a few forums. One guy posted a reply about a 7800GT. He says
it works just fine. I'm not about to get that card. I gave up an arm for
the NX7600GT. I don't plan on donating a leg any time soon.

According the documentation for the motherboard you don't get an option
to turn of the internal video. You just place the other card in and the
board makes the switch for you. However, when I boot the system Linux
sees the other card. It's in /proc/driver/nvidia/cards. I see "0" and
"1". If you cat these files they tell you what the card is and what the
IRQ is. The strange thing is that both cards are on the same IRQ. I
think it's 50. I don't know if any of this means anything but I thought
I would mention it.

Oh, I also get something like "Cannot allocate resource at
123:324234:#$5:84" or something like that. I don't remember what the
numbers are. I see this with or with out the NX7600GT card in the
system. It's got something to do with the motherboard.

If you plan on doing 3D with a high end card I recommend nvidia but be
prepared to do some work. I also recommend you try different hardware.
Again, they say the NX7600GT works. Just not for me at the moment.

Oh, there is a new nvidia driver out. It's beta. Maybe I'll give that a
try.