RE: MythTV + pchdtv 5500 + GCI Digital Cable == Need some help

From: Thomison, Lee <ThomisonL@ci.anchorage.ak.us>
Date: Tue Oct 17 2006 - 09:13:31 AKDT

It's not the technology, it's the marketing. The technology is fine.
The technologists aren't the bad guys here. The marketing folks are the
ones that are forcing the limitations. Can't even blame the corporate
lawyers much on this one (but let's do anyway, just because )

And yes, the 'converter box' is a deal breaker. =20

In the 'old days' I could watch anything I wanted anywhere in my house I
wanted to run a coax to, or even watch one thing and record another.
With the 'converter box' you can't do that. You can watch one program
or record one program at the location that is plugged in to the
converter box. Why should I pay more for less? =20

Oh. Right. That 'marketing' thing.

Of course, they don't have cable or satellite or tv back where I live,
so for me it's a non-issue.

On a more humorous note, last spring I spent a lot of time working
getting a mythtv setup working to replace my dvd player (another story).
About halfway through it dawned on me "why am I doing this? I don't get
tv or cable or satellite or anything back here." Then I spent another
two weeks finishing it up. I got beautiful screens of recorded static,
and an occasional pattern in the snow that may have been Bill Moyer's
ghost.

Moral of this story: =20