Re: MythTV + pchdtv 5500 + GCI Digital Cable == Need some help

From: Jim Gribbin <jgribbin@alaska.net>
Date: Mon Oct 16 2006 - 10:34:47 AKDT

I don't remember any discussion about being able to use one of those
cards in place of a cable box.

I remember saying something about a news blurb I had recently run across
about a new law requiring cable companies to start making available some
pcmcia cards that plug into the backs of some televisions and Tivo boxes
that would eliminate the need for a cable box. I don't think this has
gone into effect yet though, at least not here.

Seems like these kinds of laws always go into effect on some sort of
timeline. I know that when they passed the law on phone number
portability with cell phones that it took something like year or so
before it took effect here.

I think there was also some discussion of hdtv that same evening. Maybe
the discussions overlapped and confused the issue?

Jim