Re: pptp vpn

From: <rspickles@computers4all.org>
Date: Wed Oct 11 2006 - 20:02:17 AKDT

First - VPN is between routers as a rule. So at school you may have
access to the router in order for this to work. Then if you have
managed to sync the routers VPN connections you may be able to network
the computers involved. To do this your Linux server at home will have
to have Samba server installed as Linux must talk MS speak as there is
no sane way to get Windows to do Linux speak. now as to networking the
two systems your routers IP address will only be needed by the school
router - once the connection is made you will need a unique IP address
for your computer as apposed to those used by your school - or any other
school on the same VPN connection. In that you have a router involved
you will need to examine the IP address in light of this fact - if the
school district is using The class A domain of 10.0.0.0 your system will
require a similar IP address but you will not be able to use one that
matches that of any other network on that VPN system. In that any any
network ID you select may well cause the district problems in the future
- I would be surprised if the school systems administrators will allow
you VPN access. (We haven't even got to the security hole having your
server directly connected to their network represents remember they are
using Windows Servers).
Now for a better solution -- Set up your server as a FTP server - you
will be able to make is as secure or insecure as you wish and the School
District admins will not care in the least. Once you have FTP set up all
you will need to access your computer from any where in the world is a
computer, an Internet connection, your routed IP address and a FTP
Client. This means that on Windows you will need to install a client -
my choice is FireFox with the FireFTP extension installed I have taken
to using this even on my Linux systems as it is handy to have the same
interface on both platforms.

One more note here -- Unless you are paying extra for a "Fixed IP
address for your home router - your ISP may at sometime in the future
change your IP address without notice.

I've tried to keep this short so I have glossed over the details of IP
addressing, VPN PPTP and FTP but I think that I have covered the subject
sufficiently to show you that you would be much more likely to succeed
using FTP than VPN in this area.

Blake Eggemeyer wrote:
> i set up a small server at home
> i want to acess it from school, so that i can save my CompSci hwk on it.
> i have a router, the pptp option is enabled
> how do i tell the MS vpn software that my routed IP is
> 66.58.216.90 and my server adress is 192.168.1.5
> any ideas?

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: rspickles.vcf