RE: Hardware...

From: Jamie Hushower <hushower@alaska-geeks.com>
Date: Wed Oct 04 2006 - 21:43:00 AKDT

I am using Retrospect by EMC. Yes, the combination or hardware and software=
 reports what tapes in my rotation are currently used and a database of bac=
kups is maintained to determine the necessary tape should a restore be nece=
ssary. It is important as my backups are currently spanning multiple tapes =
per night. I have been testing an add-on module that facilitates disaster r=
ecovery on a workstation from tape. I'd recommend the combination for Windo=
ws and it also works well for the Macs (OSX) in the mix minus the disaster =
recovery (Windows only) - I don't know how well things work with Linux.

Also, somewhere in this thread someone mentioned the "perk" of the drive re=
cognizing the tapes. This combination does that. I load a set of tapes into=
 the drive and it spends a few minutes identifying them and determining if =
the appropriate tapes are available for the next backup.

-Jamie

__
Jamie Hushower
Computer Consultant