Re: Entry level/ intern LAMP person

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Fri Sep 29 2006 - 17:30:12 AKDT

On Friday 29 September 2006 15:43, Tony wrote:
> Hi Everyone:
>
> I am curious. How much does an entry level/intern LAMP
> person need to know? For example, if that person knows
> the course content of the courses offered by Red Hat:
> RH 033 - Linux Basics and RH 133 Systems
> Administration, has some experience running an Apache
> server, knows basic php scripting and knows basic
> MySQL, is this enough?
>
> Additionally, what should such a person be paid?
> $20,000 a year with just medical insurance or more?

$20,000 a year is $10/hr for 2000 hrs. Not a livable wage in Alaska.

Here is a story. before computers where used in the automated building
control industry (BAS), the systems were pnuematic, compressed air. The
steam & pipefitters union did the work and made $60,000 a year for a
journeymans wage, in the 80's $100,000 dollar years were not uncommon.
The switch to computers and lans for BAS made it possible to dump the
union and hire computer techs. The techs made $35,000 a year and were
happy, all the other trades were making union scale. Go figure, smart
computer techs ??? :-)

--
Greg Madden