make error 'missing separator'

From: Thomison, Lee <ThomisonL@ci.anchorage.ak.us>
Date: Thu Sep 21 2006 - 13:09:36 AKDT

Hey folks.
Trying to compile comserv ( http://www.bsdhome.com/comserv/ ) and
getting a "Makefile: 45 *** missing separator. Stop." Error.

My first guess is that this is one of those diffs between the bsd world
and linux world, but who knows?

Googling says put a tab

        Choice A: in front of line 45
        Choice B: in front of all lines
        Choice C: in front of all command scripts (wtfo?)
        Choice D: in front of all decision lines.
        Choice E: who the fsck knows?

I've tried the various tab combos, none work, many generate more and
different and exciting errors.

I have no want, need, desire, or time to learn the in's and out's of yet
another obscure tedious arcane something so I'm going to try for choice
F:, and that is pay someone who knows 'make' more than I want to know it
to fix it.

So who knows the in's and out's of makefiles, and how much will you
charge me to get this working?

I'm using gentoo 2006.1, glibc-2.3.5, gcc-3.4.6. I also tried on RHEL4
with exactly the same errors, so I suspect the fix will be generic. In
any case I'll post the corrected code back to the gentoo ebuild
community (the original author appears to be unreachable).

Please reply off list to lee@afabco.com