Re: not exactly a linux question, what is FFT

From: Stanley Long <slong@customcpu.com>
Date: Tue Sep 12 2006 - 11:41:21 AKDT

Blake Eggemeyer wrote:
> Fast Fourier Transformation
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_transform
> iv'e asked all my math teachers but none can really tell me much

Arithmetic for sine wave stuff is (relatively) easy to do.

Real life wave forms are often not sinusoidal. The numbers get messy.

One guy figured out how to break the complicated, real life wave forms
down into a whole bunch of separate sine waves. It makes more little
problems, but each little problem is manageable.
His name got attached to the method.

Since then, more people figured out ways to do all the little problems
faster. Then we had Fast-Fourier-Transforms.

Now we have FFT because we don't have time to write out his name :-))