Fwd: Re: Re: not exactly a linux question, what is FFT

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Tue Sep 12 2006 - 11:14:34 AKDT

Got sent to me instead of the list.

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

Subject: Re: Re: not exactly a linux question, what is FFT
Date: Tuesday 12 September 2006 10:16
From: "Jeremy Austin" <jhaustin@gmail.com>
To: "Joshua J. Kugler" <joshua@eeinternet.com>

On 9/12/06, Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 September 2006 09:54, Blake Eggemeyer wrote:
> > Fast Fourier Transformation
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_transform
> > iv'e asked all my math teachers but none can really tell me much

Ubiquitous in signal processing. In temporal processing, such as
audio, it is used to break a signal down into its frequency
components. MP3 encoders use it to discard unused portions of the
frequency spectrum. In spatial processing, such as a JPG, it does much
the same thing, in the visual domain.

Roughly, it allows you to make approximations of a signal by breaking
it down into its component sine waves. These can be reconstituted and
reproduced in approximation. Lossy compressions depend on this
approximation.

jermudgeon

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE
PO Box 80086 -- Fairbanks, AK 99708 -- Ph: 907-456-5581 Fax: 907-456-3111