RE: MythTV: Broadcast Flag

From: Lance Hankins <lhankins@ktuu.com>
Date: Mon Sep 11 2006 - 16:06:32 AKDT

Not so. You can record and play back, what you can't do is make additional
copies of the material or send it through any type of link where it could be
recorded at the other end. So while you could play it to a TV set as
component signals in HD, you couldn't send it to a TV as HDMI (digital).

It's all pretty stupid and I hope they figure something out about this stuff
one of these days. At this point, local broadcasters are not nearly as
concerned with this protection as the networks and the movie industry
(syndicators.) It's the same type of arguments that were made when VCRs
first hit the market - everybody will make their own copy and we'll never be
able to make any money again. Of course, that's not exactly what happened.

The flag in its best use would allow certain uses or number of uses but
prevent everything else. So if you record a program/movie/etc you're allowed
to play it back X number of times or for X number of days from the record
date then it dies. That's no different than a lot of distribution plans in
use today by the larger rental outfits.

So while it could be applied in a heavy-handed manner, it could also be used
in a very functional way. I'd prefer not to have it, but I think it's going
to come about whether we like it or not.

Lance