Re: I want (a router with) it all!

From: Thomison, Lee <ThomisonL@ci.anchorage.ak.us>
Date: Mon Sep 11 2006 - 08:44:14 AKDT

May be a bit dated, but my .02:

If none are quite there, then why not roll yer own? Openwrt is a good
place to start, a not-difficult learning curve. If you need more, and
don't mind an (often tedious) learning curve, then gentoo and openslug=20

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/HomePage=20

can you can pretty much do whatever you want.

As far as boxes:

The Asus wl500 series are sweet little boxes. For lower cost
few-whistles and bells not-high-load boxes, I've settled on the Buffalo
WHR-G54S (I think that's the model number).

Warning: if you go the ARM route, do your homework before buying a box;
they aren't all the same, even within the same model line. Linksys is
particularly bad about that; don't even bother with Belkin. YMMV.

If you have extra boxen, and don't mind the noise/powerload, then
there's a whole mess of options. Smoothwall is a favorite, and I think
someone else mentioned pfSense. Or once again, roll yer own. 8)