Re: Curious question

From: Thomison, Lee <ThomisonL@ci.anchorage.ak.us>
Date: Tue Sep 05 2006 - 15:31:25 AKDT

I make it a rule never to discuss pollyticks, rillijun, or linux
distros.

Of course, rules are for those who need them 8)

In the last year there's only a few I've worked with enough to have a
valid opinion on. So here goes, and why:

Gentoo - used for max flexibility and configurability.

Redhat enterprise linux - used when 'corporate plausibility/deniability'
is required and a more-or-less standard issue setup is good enough.

Openwrt/dd-wrt - useful for the arm-based wireless routers. Still a bit
quirky and enough occasional weirdness to be not 100% certain of, but if
watchdogs are set properly it's good enough for small systems.

Ubuntu - quick up and going. =20

Mostly what I use is gentoo; all of 'my' full boxes are gentoo. If the
'customer' (including my Day Job <tm> customer ) wants something else
(e.g. Redhat), that's fine too.

But, the Final Word, as has been pointed out, is that the best distro is
whatever the user/admin is most familiar with and can get to do the job
with the minimum of effort. The phrase YMMV goes triple here.

Take a look at distrowatch on occasion, to see what niches are being
worked on - literally hundreds.