Re: Userful Desktop Multiplier

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Sat Sep 02 2006 - 11:05:36 AKDT

On Friday 01 September 2006 18:17, Clay Scott wrote:
> userful looked to essentially be a polished, corporate product to do the
> exact same thing. if anyone knows of the project i was looking for i'd
> appreciate a heads up...

Gotta love bookmarks.

http://linuxgazette.net/124/smith.html A howto

I think this is the original project:
http://www.c3sl.ufpr.br/multiterminal/index-en.php

Yeah, Userful, while looking like a great product, appears to be a pretty
front end to stuff you can do by hand. That's why they don't have to release
as GPL: there is nothing that says you have to release an app that configures
GPL applications as long as the app doesn't use any of those GPL app's code.

As to the comments about thin clients being cheaper, yes, once you get past a
single room, I would tend to agree. VGA/KB/Mouse extenders are NOT cheap,
and for $120 ($90 in volume >= 1000) you can buy this:
http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS6828123924.html The best use for something
like the multi-head/userful software is a lab situation where all the units
are close together. Although, you'd probably still want them to be all at
one table because long VGA cables aren't cheap. :)

In a weird turn of events, you can now buy a computer for less than you can
buy a pair (local and remote, both needed) of VGA extenders:
http://www.blackbox.com/Catalog/Detail.aspx?cid=308,1558,1562&mid=4296 ($198
for the pair) Of course, that's a CAT5 unit. There may be cheaper ones. But
the micro PC above gives you KB, USB, VGA, sound, and a CF slot. And with
Linux Terminal Server Project, you can now plug in USB device at the terminal
and have it show up on the user's screen.

I'll go with the Micro PC. Gotta love commoditization.

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE
PO Box 80086 -- Fairbanks, AK 99708 -- Ph: 907-456-5581 Fax: 907-456-3111