Re: Er.... for Sendmail users......

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Fri Aug 25 2006 - 09:52:11 AKDT

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, Damien Hull wrote:

> I agree with this. Even though I don't like sendmail I know it's out there.
> It's the default MTA for Red Hat and CentOS. One of these days I'll put up a
> sendmail box on my test network. Maybe there is a way I can run two email
> servers. One for testing-linux.com and another for a sub domain. Maybe.

If you do some port reassignments and forward subdomain mail through your
primary MTA to the new port you could run it on the same box, even.

> Will sendmail still be the standard in the next 5 years? Well, Debian
> defaults to Exim. Ubuntu doesn't install anything which means you get to pick
> what you want. A lot of people are using Qmail.

I'll leave my chips in the sendmail corner. As much growth as Linux has
gotten I don't believe that Linux alone will be able to change an industry
standard. When AIX, Solaris, and HP-UX jump ship I'll change my mind.

         --Arthur Corliss