Re: Linux Accounting system

From: adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Thu Aug 24 2006 - 20:06:07 AKDT

I feel like I'm missing about 2/3 of this thread, even though it appears
to be the first message.

1. Is this an accounting in the
number-crunching-hey-there's-a-$1000-discrepancy-in-the-books way, or a
user-billg-used-80MB-of-space-and-100-percent-of-the-cpu way? I lean
towards the former, but I don't know many people who'd have accounting
info available via the web. The confusion exists in my mind perhaps
because when I worry about 'accounting', it is user and statistics style
accounting that I make available via the web.

2. 64k? If you mean 64 bit, do it. On the mysql servers I've tested,
64 bit systems whomp 32 bit systems of the same cpu clock. (Well,
technically, the raw megahertz on the opteron were fewer...) you'll be
able to add more ram and address it without kludges. Also, get an AMD64
system, not an Itanic or intel's crappy stuff (I have a celeron-D on my
desk at work and an Athlon64 at home - once I get solaris on my amd,
I'll do some benchmarks.)

Confused