Re: HDD Password.

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Wed Aug 23 2006 - 20:29:01 AKDT

On Wednesday 23 August 2006 15:27, levi wrote:
> We have A computer in our shop that is in for data recovery, because
> they forgot the password for thier harddrive. Our issue is, we can't
> find a way around this without frying the data. We can't run fdisk,
> cfdisk, fixmbr... or anything else that we can think of, under Linux or
> Windows. I thought perhaps changing the drive pe to "007" (ntfs) in
> cfdisk, or fixing the MBR would work, but we cant access the drive, on
> the local machine or by = pulling
> it and slaving it onto a workbench computer... I'm at a total loss, and
> = was
> hoping perhaps someone had experience with this. Any input would be
> appreciated...
> Thank You,
> Levi

Is it a normal linux install , and the user just forgot the login passwd ?
 If so you can boot into rescue mode with a live cd or if applicable the
install cd, chroot mount the root file system, cd into the chroot, and
change the passwd. There are othe options for doing this depending on
what the details are.

More info would help.

--
Greg Madden