Altering httpd.conf file for authentication

From: Tony <vze2jy85@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Jul 28 2006 - 09:08:51 AKDT

Hi Everyone:

I have a question that I been dealing for several
hours with no success.

I am trying to set up a basic authentication login for
entry to a website using Apache. Part of the
httpd.conf file in the Directory section reads like
this:

<Directory "/var/www/icons">
    Options Indexes MultiViews
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>
<Directory "/var/www/html/index_files">
AllowOverride AuthConfig
AuthName "index_files"
AuthType Basic
require valid-user
AuthUserFile /var/www/html/index_files/.htaccess
</Directory>

As you can see I created a directory called
"index_files" and it has "index.html" in it. So I put
the AuthName as "index_files" and I created a
.htaccess file (htpasswd -c
/var/www/html/index_files/.htpacess) and also placed
it in that directory.

However when I try to access it from another computer,
I am told that I have a 403 error and I do not have
permission to access the directory.

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong. I think the
problem is in the httpd.conf file.

Tony