Re: Another local exploit

From: Oliver Savage <oliver.savage@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Jul 15 2006 - 20:08:55 AKDT

On 7/15/06, captgoodnight captgoodnight <captgoodnight@hotmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/18992/info
>
> LOL, this one is really bad! Fun too. OMG.
>
> Anyone have ideas on a workaround?
>
> thanks,
>
> --eddie

Following this thread
http://lists.grok.org.uk/pipermail/full-disclosure/2006-July/047907.html
a suggestion was made to; "Mount /proc as nosuid."

I haven't really mucked with SUID settings before, although the hour
worth of reading I have done because of this seems worthwhile. Someone
else on the list may have better instructions, and may better know the
side effects of setting /proc to nosuid. You are warned that this
advice comes from an SUID amatuer, please someone tell me if this is
not a good idea, or if I am doing it wrong.

If you have never edited /etc/fstab you may want to peruse
man fstab
man mount
and read this webpage; http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html.
You may also want to read 'man proc'.

I edited the fstab line
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
to read
proc /proc proc defaults,nosuid 0 0

Then I rebooted, although it is possible that a
mount -a [-t type] [-O optlist] command would allow you to do this
without rebooting.

Further SUID and permissions information can be found at the following;
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/1190
http://www.homepage.montana.edu/~unixuser/051602/SUID.html