Re: kernel local root exploit

From: W.D.McKinney <deem@wdm.com>
Date: Sat Jul 15 2006 - 08:52:31 AKDT

_____
From: Oliver Savage [mailto:oliver.savage@gmail.com]
To: aklug@aklug.org
Sent: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 01:54:33 -0800
Subject: Re: kernel local root exploit

I've done some digging around concerning the kernel exploit. For the
Ubuntu heads it would appear that the most recent updates included
fixes for this. See this post for more information
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-security-announce/2006-July/000353.html.

Doubtful that anyone but myself is running Ubuntu on an Apple laptop,
but on the off chance, check your symlinks in /boot. You may have to
update them manually.
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=214138

Thanks for the notice on this, always better to be safe than soggy.

Seems that Ubuntu has the lead in developers that help with timely fixes. As for running Ubuntu on your Apple Laptop, I downloaded the latest Ubuntu desktop ISO last night. Hopefully using it for my workstation if I can the dual monitor situation to work.

Now my MacBook Pro will be running OSX I think for time being.

Have fun,
-Dee

(Only the experienced walk with a limp!)