RE: time-lapse webcam software

From: Kevin Miller <Kevin_Miller@ci.juneau.ak.us>
Date: Tue Jul 11 2006 - 07:18:43 AKDT

I'm unclear if the images from the web are stills that are updated every
few minutes or if they're streaming. If they're just stills, you can
easily grab them with wget and a cron job. I've been capturing the
images (5 minute refresh interval) at:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/webcam.html for
the same reason - thought a time-lapse of the glacier over the course of
a year might be interesting. The image is always named the same so I
just do this in a cron job: wget -q
http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/webcam.jpg

Well, actually I have a script that does that as well as renames it and
drops it in a directory. My base directory is called webdir. The
script makes a subdirectory based on the month, then a subdirectory
under that for each day where I drop the still image. The images are
named based on the time so they collate in the proper order.

What are you going to use to turn the stills into a movie with? =20

...Kevin
--=20
Kevin Miller Registered Linux User No: 307357
CBJ MIS Dept. Network Systems Admin., Mail Admin.
155 South Seward Street ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801 fax: (907 586-4500